IL AG's Top 10 consumer complaints of 2013
More than 20,000 complaints were filed with the Illinois attorney general in 2013, and thousands of them involved data breaches and identify theft.
Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan testified before the U.S. House of Representatives last week about her ongoing investigations in to the epidemic of data breaches nationwide.
"Unfortunately it's not a matter of if it is going to happen to you. It really is a matter of when and I think the huge data breaches at Target, and Neiman Marcus and Michael's really serve as a wake-up call to consumers that they really have to be paying attention to their bank accounts and credit card statements and looking at their credit reports," Madigan said.
Madigan says the best way customers can protect themselves is by setting up alerts on credit and debit cards via text or email signifying when a transaction is made.
Top 10 Complaints:
1. Consumer Debt (mortgage lending, debt collections, credit cards) 4,340
2. Identity Theft (fraudulent credit cards and utility accounts, bank fraud) 3,009
3. Telecommunications (wireless service, local phone service, cable/satellite) 1,870
4. Construction/Home Improvement (remodeling, roofs/gutters) 1,688
5. Motor Vehicles/Used Auto Sales (as-is sales, financing, warranties) 1,167
6. Promotions & Schemes (sweepstakes, pyramid, work-at home scams) 879
7. Mail Order (Internet purchases, catalog ordering, television/radio) 833
8. Fraud Against Business (consulting, directories/publications) 777
9. Motor Vehicle/Non-Warranty Repair (collision/body, engines) 526
10. Travel (time shares, promotions/sales, travel agents) 439